Animal Spirits: The Ladybug

august-31st-2013-211

Photo by Jessica Hagan. Click to see more of her beautiful photography!

Last weekend as I was planting my fall vegetable garden, I discovered a deep scarlet ladybug on my gardening gloves. Immediately I become excited, for ladybugs are a sign of good luck, especially when they land on your hand! As a child I was told that if a ladybug lands on you, hold it on your finger, make a wish, and chant: Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home. If it did, your wish would come true.

Across many cultures, the lady bug, also known as ladybird and lady beetle, is a symbol of good fortune. It is said that the number of spots indicates how many years until your wish comes true. In Asia, if a ladybug lands on you, your true love is on the way. A ladybug landing on you may also portend good weather and prosperity, especially of food/crops, for ladybugs help to keep crop-eating pests at bay and away.

Ladybugs also have a very spiritual meaning. They carry the wisdom of past lives, enlightenment, the cycle of death and rebirth, and, according to Shamanic traditions, they carry the golden strand that leads to the center of the Universe, where the individual soul/consciousness merges with the One.

About these ads

About Julianne Victoria

I am a writer, healer, and spiritual life coach (astrologer & tarot reader) in San Francisco, CA. I hope to help heal, teach, and inspire others on their journeys and in this life. © Julianne Victoria and Through the Peacock's Eyes Press under the Common Law Copyright; My main Blog: www.peacockseyes.com
This entry was posted in Animal Spirits and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Animal Spirits: The Ladybug

1. PigLove says:

We LOVE ladybugs here at the Hotel Thompson. In fact, mom’s nick name is Junebug. Isn’t that cute? XOXO – Bacon

2. Wow, I had no idea of how much power the ladybug holds. Just recently I have been seeing them like never before. I barely saw any this summer, but Autumn comes and so did the ladybugs.
    Very interesting! Lovely post!
    Namaste

3. Karina says:

Synchronicity as I almost lost my ladybug earring this morning, lucky it was on the floor and not down the drain ;)

4. interesting info on ladybugs

5. TamrahJo says:

I’ve been so pleased by my numerous Lady Bug visits in my home this past year! Cheers me up and gives me hope! :)

6. Amy says:

Good read about Ladybugs! Thank you, Julianne!

7. renatembell says:

Sweet, Julianne! Saturday while visiting with my mom in NY, I noticed dozens of ladybugs on the outside of her house. One landed on me, then flew off. It appears they prefer the white siding to the orange-rust colored bricks on my mother’s house. They must be attracted to the Light :) Thanks for sharing. Nice synchronicity.

8. Brenda says:

They look so beautiful when they take their wings out of hiding, and fly, holding that pretty carapace high in the air. They are a marvel. And they eat the aphids on rose bushes, so they will always be friends of mine. :-)

9. seeker says:

I happen to like lady bug and it is quite interesting to read the meaning behind it on your post. Not knowing what it means, for me it’s a sign of life it self; a life saver.

10. shreejacob says:

You know I’m terrified of insects except the common mosquito, fly and ant…AND one other insect which is the ladybug!! I think ladybugs are just absolutely cute and small…which may be why I like them!!

11. I’ve heard they were good luck. I didn’t know the other things about them. Thanks for sharing.

12. It was just about this time last year, I was still living in Louisiana with my brother, my room was invaded by a swarm of ladybugs, and I had screens on the upstairs window. I loved them of course they were everywhere in my room for months. As it turned out they brought me lots of good fortune.

13. Jas Baku says:

‘Ladybird, ladybird fly away home,
    Your house is on fire and your children are gone’

Yes, I remember this poem from a childhood in Devon, UK. Good to hear the verse is well travelled.

14. fozziemum says:

I love them :) had so many this last weekend in the garden and i said the poem and thought how sad it was..i gently moved them from where i wa weeding to my rose bushes so they could feed on the aphids :) hugs Fozziemum xx

Comments and Discussion Welcome!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s