Shedding Light on Jyotisha explains the fundamentals for learning astrology in general, Vedic Astrology specifically, and how to read a birth chart for insights and guidance for our lives. The 2nd Expanded Edition has been re-written for greater ease of use as a reference tool, and it now includes informational charts and three sample celebrity birth chart interpretations: Prince, Karen Carpenter, and Marilyn Monroe.
The Introduction from Shedding Light on Jyotisha:
I began studying Jyotisha, or Vedic Astrology, after getting a reading from a friend of mine in 2004, but my interest in astrology began as a young child through reading the horoscopes in the newspaper with my grandmother and with my friends. In college in the 1990’s I often let myself get distracted from studying by browsing through the astrology books in the bookstores and libraries. But this reading in 2004 was my first exposure to the light of Jyotisha, which means the science or study of the heavenly bodies, of the stars, or of light. I was immediately drawn to studying it, immersing myself into the few books I found at the nearby esoteric bookstore.
There were so many new concepts to learn, such as Nakshatras, and gunas, and dashas, and divisional charts, and all the Hindu mythology! Some things I was already familiar with from studying yoga and healing modalities, including some Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India, and though I also had an academic background in the ancient languages, mythology, and symbolism of the classical Greek, Roman, and Egyptian worlds, the Sanskrit terminology and mythological references made studying Vedic Astrology as a beginner a bit overwhelming at times, to say the least.
Though there are many very good beginning-level Vedic Astrology books out there, I wanted to put together something a little less complicated for the very beginner to astrology and for those coming from a Western Astrology background. In Shedding Light in Jyotisha you will find the basic information and knowledge needed to read a birth or natal chart, which is the foundation needed for further study into Vedic Astrology, if one so chooses.
An Abbreviated Table of Contents:
- What Is Vedic Astrology or Jyotisha, including The Sidereal & Lunar Zodiacs
- The Nine Planets, The Grahas
- The Twelve Zodiac Signs, The Rashis, including The Four Elements & The Three Characteristics
- The Twelve Houses, The Bhavas, including The House Types & The Four Motivations
- The Twenty-seven Lunar Mansions, The Nakshatras, including The Three Guna Qualities
- The Basics for Interpreting a Birth Chart
- The Ascendant & Physiological Associations
- Planetary Rulership & Strength
- Planetary Aspects, Drishtis, & Yogas
- A Deeper Look at Karma
- Balancing, Cancellation, & Alleviation
- Birth Chart Sample Interpretations
- Karen Carpenter
- Marilyn Monroe